A condominium fire that sent one person to the hospital Friday appears to be accidental in nature.
At 6:36 a.m., the Cape Coral Fire Department responded to a commercial structure fire at the Island Cove Condominiums, at 1789 Four Mile Cove Parkway. The fire was located in a second floor unit and was contained in the kitchen area, according to a prepared statement released last week by officials.
The fire was contained and extinguished with the help of the complex's sprinkler system.
CCFD Battalion Chief Alan Carter reported Tuesday that the cause of the fire was accidental and the area of origin was the kitchen. The heat source was an electric burner and the point of origin was a pot.
The fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage to the condominiums.
One resident sustained moderate to severe burns Friday. The person was transported to a local hospital before being transported to the Regional Burn Center at Tampa General Hospital, officials reported.
According to Carter, the victim sustained second-degree and third-degree burns.
The resident's identity and medical condition were unknown Tuesday.
The fire caused two condominiums units to be declared uninhabitable Friday, and the building was yellow-tagged by a Cape building inspector. Two families were displaced as a result of the fire.
Officials reported that the families secured lodging locally with family and friends.
The CCFD and State Fire Marshal's Office are investigating the incident.a