Cape Coral firefighters hit the streets Friday, hoping to raise at least $35,000 over the weekend for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Members of the Cape Coral Professional Firefighters Local 2424 raised $31,000 - a record amount - during last year's Fill the Boot drive and hope to best that tally this year.
We urge those out and about in the community today and Sunday to help them toward that goal. MDA is a worthy cause and it's a traditional fund-raiser for public safety workers.
MDA is described on its website as a "non-profit health agency dedicated to finding treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy, ALS and related diseases by funding worldwide research."
It funds research for more than 40 neuromuscular diseases and also provides numerous services from help with the diagnostic process to treatment.
Cape firefighters, boots in hand, will be set up at 10 intersections throughout the city to collect donations. Those locations are:
* Veterans Parkway and Santa Barbara Boulevard
* Cape Coral Parkway and Del Prado Boulevard
* Del Prado Boulevard and Pine Island Road
* Del Prado Boulevard and Hancock Bridge Parkway
* Del Prado Boulevard and Veterans Parkway
* Chiquita Boulevard and Cape Coral Parkway
* Diplomat Parkway and Del Prado Boulevard
* Pine Island Road and Nicholas Parkway
* Pine Island Road and Burnt Store Road
* Del Prado Boulevard and Kismet Parkway
We thank the firefighters taking part and we wish them another record-busting year for a good cause.
- Breeze editorial